Ness from The Girl With Five Lads blog has decided to plant a seed in all of us Chronically ill folks, with the aim of sharing our self-love and also appreciation for those who need to feel that they are way more than their diagnosis.
So using the hashtag #BesidesMyDiagnosis and answering some simple questions, maybe we can start to feel like we are more that what we are diagnosed with.
It’s hard enough receiving a life changing diagnosis and being told you have a long term illness, but we also start to mourn the person we once used to be, the life we once had. But we don’t have to become what our illness dictates us to be, we need to remember the good things, the things that make us happy, the things that make us who we are. We all have unique personalities, so why not share them!
So with that in mind, here are my answers:
2. #besidesmydiagnosis the things I have read most are? Currently reading “Jo Milne – Breaking the Silence”. I also have “The Room” & “Frog Dance” to start reading.
4. #besidesmydiagnosis my favourite past times are? Staying in bed for most of the day. Being able to do things without a second thought. Sitting in the pub having a few drinks, a good laugh and having no responsibilities, pretending not to be an adult for a short while!
5. #besidesmydiagnosis my biggest accomplishment since illness is? Being able to work. Although i have had to reduce my hours which was a really tough decision, I am so proud that I’m still working, I need to, it’s what keeps me going.
6. #besidesmydiagnosis I feel my best quality is? My ability to smile and get on with things. I try so hard every day just to hold on to the person I once was, because deep down I am still that person, but if I can smile and keep going who knows what else I can do!
7. #besidesmydiagnosis my motto/mantra to live by?
“Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move On”.
And my fave one – “Be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn, then be a unicorn”
9. #besidesmydiagnosis my guilty pleasure is? Cuddling up on the sofa, in my pyjamas watching some crime programmes (Rizzoli & Isles, Quantico, Criminal Minds, The Blacklist). I do love a good crime programme!
10. #besidesmydiagnosis I have many dreams and ambitions such as? I had a dream to move to Canada, but my health went downhill, so now even visiting Canada would be a fantastic dream. I want to travel more, I want to see the world, how realistic that is, I’m not sure, but there’s no harm in dreaming. My ambition was to get a degree in Administration, which I did back in 2010. So now I want to learn something new, and maybe get myself some new qualifications. Just to decide exactly what!
So! Basically that’s me! This is me #BesidesMyDiagnosis.
I look forward to reading yours! And remember to follow the instruction on Ness’s blog, and share your linky!